Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The battle begins

10 Mar 2011
And so it begins...

Every since I accepted the terms and agreement of my publishing contract I knew that there would be expected changes in my manuscript. I am okay with that, however as anyone who has written a book, music or play...knows that these writings are apart of you and in a way, like your family and taking the bite when someone criticizes or expresses distaste over your material is hard and quite the challenge. Having said that, I am in a dilemma of what to do about the resent changes my publisher and editor have requested. This story is slowly becoming someone else's story and I do not like it. As a first time author in the book writing business I do not want to seem difficult to work with and was warned by my agent not make waves because I am at threat of the losing my advance and having the contract terminated if I do. On the other hand, knowing published writers who have a very successful career in this business tell me it;s not about first timers or oldies, it's about dollars and cents and if you have good enough material they are not going to cut you off that easily.

The rewrite requests were the reason for my extension and I was given adequate time to work on them. The contract was amended by them after all and the advance pretty good. Warning to all first time writers, do not spend your money too soon. LOL You never know if you are going to have give it back. Terms can be stiff and you must be sure that you can adhere to these terms which makes it a bit stressful considering an advance is paid to keep you going while you write your story. At any rate, I had a wonderful time writing it during this past year and more so now that I am here in Canada with quite a bit of time to spare. It will soon be short lived as I have already made the decision to remain here and Andrew and our son will be returning mid April. His contract ends March 31 and my mum is watching my boy after school and during Andrew's hours at the hospital. But soon she and Hammy will be returning to Porto in June themselves. Our family are wanderers it seems and have confirmed that the time in our life to make the final decision for whats best for ourselves has come. I have rejected the offer today and pulled the sign down. And I feel great!

My copyright act is valid everywhere in the free world , so it doesn't matter where I am. Andrew seemed excited when I spoke to him this morning and did not give any hesitation in the decision making. "I knew it!", he shouted over the phone. LOL

Tomorrow, I go to storage and see what can be pulled to add to the house. I am not sure if I am going home to finalize the close up of our belongings there and be away from my immediate family for the month or return home. It is only an month and a cost saved if I can help it. Thank you, Mum for my flight wallet! It is very lonely here in this house and the nights long when you have no one to talk to. But there is lots to do and more time to waste and cannot wait for my boys to return home. Saying good bye to South Africa is hard because there was a peace to returning last year, but I have calmed my desire to find the balance I was looking for and it begins and ends right here.

Here we go again!

2 comments:

  1. LOL Thank you, Poochie! This is my first book to be published and still in development. I didn't really know how hard of a process it was going to be and a long one too!

    I'd say I'd reserve a copy for you, but they only give us authors a few if you can believe it! Then we have to buy our own! LOL

    ReplyDelete